Thursday, September 19, 2013

No News is Good News

While not entirely true, we did at least get some news. He was bronched this afternoon and did great. They removed some granulation tissue, fancy name for scar tissue, inside the trache site. Externally, the site looks great! Overall the doctor is wanting to go back and do some preliminary assessments that were not originally done. The reason for not doing them, was the fact that we went to Iowa and the dr there and Dr Rutter did not see it being needed at the time. Preston is still very swollen and they are not able to see the graft still. The assessment that is needing to be done is to check if he is having an internal allergic reaction to something. There is not always an outward sign of this and would just cause his airway to be swollen, from mild anaphylactic causing allergens. This assessment that is needing to be done is both an allergy test and then a biopsy of the stomach and esophagus. 

To put everything straight, we have to come back in 6-8 weeks for a bronch check-up. Hopefully they can get his other tests coordinated to be done at the same time. If not, then we are going to wait until spring to come back and do the tests. This is for two reasons, one we want to enjoy the holidays and two we do not want to put him in any situations that will include lots of people so that he can get sick. So the bottom line is we wait, not the best news and not the worst. 

On a side note, pumpkin ice cream at Graeter's is AMAZING! Coming back in 6-8 weeks may mean cinnamon or egg nog flavors! That is the bright ray of sunshine that makes the trip, can't get seasonal flavors anywhere else.

Thank you for all the kind words and for making this blog part of your day. 


No comments:

Post a Comment