Sunday, July 7, 2013

Update: 2 weeks down and 4 to go!

Update 7-8-13 After the Dr rounded on P this morning, we found out we will be here all week and possibly next week too. They want the antibiotics to all run their course and make sure his neck his healing the way it should be. Back to hospital food :( Looks like the salad bar will be my bff again. We will be taking turns making a trip to RMH for dinners hopefully. As much as this stinks we are glad Preston is in the best place possible and we caught this super early!! We are settled in for the long haul watching an oldie but goodie right now......The Land Before Time (Thanks Sean for sending all the movies for P). Reid is at my sister's house playing trains with his cousins and I already got 2 pics on my cell of him with big smiles. Makes me so happy knowing he is having a fun day at Auntie and Uncle's house! :)

We have been here for 2 weeks now and it sure doesn't feel that long. We are 1/3 of the way to being HOME. Preston is doing MUCH better! His meds are working great and he is feeling so much better. He has decided he loves pillows so he now sleeps with a full size pillow and thinks he is a pretty big stud. He looks like he is 5 when he is laying on it watching a show! :/ Still has very little energy and walked a few steps today but that is about all. He is on 3 diff types of antibiotics due to his cultures showing bacteria growth. He has special dressing with silver in it for his stoma and his neck looks so much better already. I have no idea how long we will be inpatient but we are in no hurry for discharge to ensure P's neck heals 100% and his dr's feel his meds are working properly. We enjoyed a nice quiet weekend in the hospital. I dread Monday's because it is so noisy but we are eager to see P's dr and consult with him about everything.

We skyped for the first time today with my inlaws and Reid. We have been so busy and overwhelmed since we got here and today was the first 'down' day we have had just hanging in P's room so we decided to give it a try. Well, that was the hardest thing I have ever done in my life. Buckets of tears on our end. :( Reid was confused and then excited when he saw all 3 of us talking to him. He and Preston were reaching for each other and signing each others names. Reid blew kisses and I lost it. I just see how big he has gotten (full mouth of teeth and all) and he didn't understand when we said goodbye. He started to cry a little bit and I just couldn't help but sob. Poor Tim......he didn't know what to say but he has been so supportive. I know Reid will never remember any of this but it is still so very hard. Tim and I made the tough decision a few days ago to not have my in-laws bring Reid with them in 2 weeks when they come to visit. We have a list of reasons and they all make perfect sense in our head. Our hearts are aching to see him but the trip would be a mess if he came! So, we are forging ahead to a new week and trying to stay positive. We are looking forward to what this week holds for all of us. I would give anything to be home and celebrate my sweet nephews b-day with my family. I hate missing milestones like that while we are gone. It sure makes us appreciate the times we ARE there and all together! Wishing everyone a wonderful week!!!!

No comments:

Post a Comment

Results are in.....

The Scoop from the Scope (Tim came up with that title)  Tim wrote most of the medical update to this post. My brain is fried and he always u...